Re: HP DV9540 laptop AMD64 with nVidia G8400M graphic card will not start in X mode

* Hans-J. Ullrich <hans.ullrich@loop.de> [2007-08-24 08:27:20 +0200]:

> Am Freitag 24 August 2007 schrieb Niels Larsen:
> > On Friday 24 August 2007 02:35:29 Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> >
> > At last I installed a driver direct from nvidia's site, following their
> > instructions:
> >
> > http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_amd64_100.14.11.html
> >
> > It worked, and I got kde up and running, but then I tried as normal user,
> > and got segmentation error.
>
> The normal user must be in group ""nvidia". The Debian package does this
> automatically, the NVidia-installer NOT.

On my desktop, running two nvidia-based graphics systems (one on the
motherboard, the other a cheap EVGA-brand card), things are working very
well with a 2-week-older version of the driver
[NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-9755-pkg2.run], and I am not in any "nvidia"
group.  That's probably purely a debian thang.

My formula for installing third party drivers is to combine them with a
manual kernel upgrade:

   -  Download the driver source or install package.
   -  Download the latest stable kernel source.
   -  Copy my old .config and do a "make oldconfig".
   -  Review the options via a "make menuconfig".
   -  Do a make, make modules_install.
   -  Do a make initrd with the right output and version options.
   -  Copy the System.map, .config, vmlinuz, and initrd.img files to
      das /boot with the right names (e.g. initrd.img-2.6.21.3-amd64-2).
   -  Add the new entries to /boot/grub/menu.lst.
   -  Reboot and make sure it works; of course, the old video driver
      will not work with the new kernel.
   -  Make a new /usr/src/linux link.
   -  Run the install procedure for the new driver.
   -  Modify xorg.conf manually.

I feel more comfortable doing it myself.  I've done it this way on
laptops, too, for both nvidia video (nvideo?) and Intel Centrino
wireless (which has the extra burdren of writing an init script,
installing a regulatory daemon, installing the Intel firmware, and
optional configuration stuff such as wpasupplicant, ifupdown, guessnet,
and NetworkManager).

As an aside, they (the Winbois) that Linux has no documentation, but all
these steps are discoverable through the search engine.  But it pays to
keep a log of what you did, for the next time <grin>.

--
You driver me crazy!