Re: AMD64 X2 questions

On 08/24/07 01:04:16AM +0200, Michael wrote:
> Lennart,
>
> > probably don't have any good reason to.  The scheduler does a great job
>
> Do you know if the kernel tries to balance load really equally ?
> For my 2core AMD64 it seems cpu0 has to be about >70% before cpu1 gets involved.
> Another idea is, i always see cpu0 is the most busy one. But wouldn't switching the 'most busy cpu' from 0 to 1 at certain intervals (say, 3 seconds) reduce heat ?

It balances running processes but that's all it can do. So if you have 1
single-threaded process doing something it'll only run on 1 CPU and the
other will sit idle. Trying to balance that one process between both CPUs
would be horrendous for performance since it would constantly invalidate
the cache on each CPU causing that data to be reloaded from main memory.

Jim.