Re: video card with hardware mpeg decoding with free driver?

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 06:59:19AM -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> Why is a Core 2 system superior?  Just a few highlights, please.

The Core 2 can execute more instructions per clock cycle than the Athlon
64.  Especially the FPU is much faster on the Core 2.

Athlon 64 still wins on raw memory bandwidth, and has a nicer multi CPU
interconnect system (so for 4+ CPU systems the Opteron still beats the
intel nicely).

> (Not trying to start a war, I've just never found a good succinct
> summary, and I'm very happy with this AMG64.)

Well many people are hoping the new AMDs coming out in the next 6 to 12
month will be able to give intel a run for its money.  The PC world
always works better when intel isn't in the lead, but instead is trying
to catch up.

--
Len Sorensen