Re: Re: perspectives on 32 bit vs 64 bit

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 03:21:25PM +0200, Thomas Steffen wrote:
> I do not thing that blaming the user is a helpful approach. Anyway, this
> thread and others show that Debian amd64 is not currently suitable for
> newbies: the risk of encountering serious installation issues is just too
> high.

Now it tells them that Debian Sarge is not appropriate for hardware not
supported by 2.4.27 and 2.6.8 kernels.  I doubt Redhat 9 would run any
better on their hardware.  Some people still try to install that on a
brand new machine.  Heck you can't even install windows XP on a brand
new SATA based machine without a floppy drive to load extra drivers for
the controller.

> This thead is not about Ubuntu advocacy, it is about problems users have
> with Debian amd64. If Ubuntu works better, than maybe it points toward the
> solution? I agree with Helge here: just as Ubuntu benefits tremendously from
> Debian, this could also go the other way round.

Yes the solution being use an installer with a newer kernel.  That is
why I made a Sarge amd64 2.6.12 kernel install cd.  It has helped quite
a few people install on hardware not supported by 2.6.8.

Len Sorensen