Re: New DFS image available

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 03:02:50PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> An updated DFS is available at http://people.debian.org/~jgoerzen/dfs/.
> Since my initial announcement, the changes are these:
>
>  * New amd64 kernel name to fix a compatibility problem with
>    cdebootstrap.  Have now verified that cdebootstrap for amd64
>    works in addition to cdebootstrap for i386.
>
>  * New amd64 kernel compiles SCSI SATA support as modules instead of
>    directly to permit users to use the IDE SATA support.

Dear John, congratulations!

I finally managed to install Debian on my Opteron system (well, not entirely
but the rest shouldn't be a problem now) thanks to your new DFS
version. After loading sata_sil module and mounting my disk base
system installed without any trouble. I was also able to install the
kernel from CD with help of dpkg-repack using --arch=amd64 switch. That's
really neat!  But as I was installing the kernel to a SATA  disk and
SATA support was in modules on CD I wasn't able to boot it. I guess
using initrd just like with normal Debian kernels would solve the
problem. Is there any special reason for not using initrd on DFS?

Piotr