Re: alpha server 8 5/500

On Jan 16, 2008 5:55 PM, Ivan Jager <aij+nospam@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, mel kravitz wrote:
> Hi,
> First-thanks for your reply.
> 1)When i boot with stock kernel 2.6.22-3-alpha-smp ,i go ->into X-session
> (gnome-session,  gdm is installed) .

Hmm, but before starting X, does it use a framebuffer driver or text mode?
obviously boots from aboot in text mode , reaches gdm point in boot and after 3 tries  at X session ,
i can log in at console(text).

You may need to look closely, or maybe look at dmesg. You could also press
Ctrl-Alt-F1 to go back to a normal console.
/var/log/xorg.0.log last ebntry is 'no /dev/fb0'

> 2)My video card is 'glint' driver(pm2 card).driver in/etc/X11/ xorg.conf is
> 'glint'.
> 3)I am not using 'fbdev' as driver in xorg.conf
> 4)In kernel .config file i have all the graphics options enabled that i
> normally would need.

Does that include CONFIG_FB_PM2?
yes.

> 5) there is no /dev/fb0, #ls -l /dev/fb0 -> /dev/null on my box?
i meen not present.

Not existing is different from a symlink to /dev/null. Anyways, does it
not exist with either kernel?
have not checked with stock kernel 2.6.22.3.....i will do that tommorow when i get back to the box.
xorg.conf has not changed between kernels.

Are you using the UseFBDev option in xorg.conf?
not that i remember, i will check it.

Have you very carefully looked through /var/log/Xorg.0.log and compared it
to what you get when it does work?
good point, i will check it. alpha is obviosly different than i386, is there an fbset command in debian?

Ivan