question on scsi error and tape drives

I have two alpha machines (500 Mhz PC164 and 550 Mhz LX164) both running
Debian/Woody and kernel 2.4.18.  Basically things are running great except
for this problem that has recently occurred with the scsi tape drives on this
machine while using amanda backup.  Both machines use the sym53c8xx v2 driver
included in the kernel and all i/o devices use this scsi bus.

The problem is that both machine went along for about 90 days without a
problem, then in the last few days, both machines required a hard reset and
reboot to clear the scsi bus and allow the tape backups to run without error.

Questions:

1) is there any way to clear the scsi bus without a reboot?

2) is there any history of scsi errors with this driver ?

3) should I start to be concerned about the scsi card or any other hardware in
the system?

Thanks...

P.S.  please respond directly via e-mail if possible (in addition to this
mailing list).

--
James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory