RE: SRM to AlphaBIOS

Well I'd try to clear the NVRAM or reset the machine to defaults, I don't
know off hand but Compaq has the manuals in pdf format on their website.

The only time I did that was from ARC, which you obviously can't do. I just
notice on my Alpha in SRM there are two file clear_arc_nvram and
clear_srm_nvram, I don't want to reset mine so I don't want to run them and
see if they work, but it maybe worth it to you to try.