Re: Urgent: Manipulating large libraries

On Wed, 20 Aug 1997 mdorman@debian.org wrote:

> [...]
> Well, a Jaz drive isn't all *that* speedy.  Where/why are you using
> ranlib at all?  I am 100% certain GNU ar doesn't need it.  Could it be
> that ranlib on the rs/6000 is effectively a NOP?

Ah ....  I've been porting to Linux a multi-arch package.  Some platforms
don't need ranlib, I wasn't aware that Linux was one of them.  Am I now
right in thinking that, if I use the -s modifier to ar, I never need
ranlib?

> > I'm rather worried.  Swapping was not excessive - I have 24MB RAM,
> > and at most 2MB of swap was in use.  The disk was going most of the
> > time, so I think ranlib on my PC was reading the huge lib in each
> > time, whereas on the 43P (which has 192 MB), it was held in memory.
>
> Yes, but during that operation, how much was buffered/cached according
> to, say, top.  I'd suspect not a lot.

Please ignore my earlier worries - I tracked down the problem to 19
ranlibs on the same library when only 1 (or in fact 0) were required!

> I can summarize my thoughts:
>
>   1) Don't bother to use ranlib, with gnu ar you shouldn't need it.

Provided -s?

>   2) The AIX ranlib may not have actually been doing anything.

Not sure ... possibly.

>   3) If the AIX ranlib *was* doing something, it may have been caching
>      (which your machine probably doesn't have a whole lot of memory
>      for, with only 24MB)

Quite.

>   4) Unless you're talking a dramatic difference in processor speed,
>      always get more memory.

Right, I'm now down to a generality (ranlib worries out of the way).  The
choice is:
   366MHz 21164, 1MB cache, 128MB DRAM;
   433MHz 21164, 2MB cache (Microway claim 30% performance boost), 64MB
DRAM.

Any thoughts?  I'll probably have to decide tomorrow ...

> The only way to make sure you're doing the right thing, though, would
> be to do some concerted testing.

Sure.  Unfortunately ...

Many thanks,

Nikhil.