Re: RFC: Strategy for getting ROCm test coverage

On 2023-03-12 15:38, Christian Kastner wrote:
> Proposal #1: Set up debci infrastructure
> ===========
>
> I'm currently working on this. I have a headless server with an 6800 XT
> which I will dedicate to this.
>
> I initially focused my efforts on the autopkgtest-virt-podman driver,
> but I've run into an odd issue that's blocking it from being usable, and
> I actually wanted to use the autopkgtest-virt-qemu driver anyway.

Last week, I thought I had finally achieved passing a GPU into QEMU, but
it turns out that I was overlooking a crucial detail: the tests were
passing, but without GPU acceleration. I had to shelve QEMU for now as
it was becoming quite time consuming, but I'd rather have a good
solution working ASAP rather than delay indefinitely for the perfect
solution.

To that end, I've managed to get autopkgtests to run in rootless Podman
containers. There's a full guide here [1] but I recommend just sticking
to the TL;DR which is really trivial.

I'll extend the guide with rootful containers when I get the chance, and
docker should be very similar to those. Both were lower on my priority
list.

rocrand has an 'autopkgtest' branch [2] where this can be tested. The
built tests are shipping in their own packages. I will be merging this
branch today, and will upload to experimental so those packages can
eventually clear NEW.

I'll be adding more autopkgtests to other packages in a similar fashion.

My next step will be to set up a debci instance. I'll let you know when
it's up and running.

Best,
Christian

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/rocm-team/community/team-project/-/blob/master/doc/rocm-autopkgtests-in-containers.md