Re: Cannot Connect To WIFI

Hello Glenn,

> On Sep 3, 2022, at 11:36 AM, K0LNY_Glenn <glenn@ervin.email> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I must be missing something, maybe someone here can assist.
> I put my working wpa_supplicant file in /etc/wpa_supplicant folder.
> My wireless according to ip is called wlp1s0
> I don't get the first part of the below, but I ran the command
> wpa_supplicant -B -i wlp1s0 -c
> and it seemed successful, but it still says network is unreachable when I
> ping stuff.
> Here's some of what I found on-line:
>
> How to use wpa_supplicant
> The wpa_supplicant tool can configure network interfaces and connect to
> wireless networks. It is intended to run as a daemon and other command to
> connect
> it. A basic configuration is as follows.
> ctrl_interface=DIR=/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel
> update_config=1
> On the first line GROUP=wheel allows any user in the wheel group to connect
> to an manage wireless connections. To limit wireless connectivity to the
> root
> account remove this. This file should be created as root and saved in the
> /etc/wpa_supplicant directory. The file may be called anything but for this
> example
> it is called example.conf. Once this file is created wpa_supplicant may be
> started by running the following command as root.
> wpa_supplicant -B -i wlp3s0b1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/example.conf
> Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
> The -B option runs the daemon in the background. The -i option specifies the
> network interface to use. This is the interface name discovered using the
> ip command. The -c options specifies the configuration file to be used.

It sounds to me like the ip configuration, static or using dhcp/slaac isn't happening. Do you know what network configuration type you are using? A few of the options include

standard debian /etc/network/interfaces
systemd-networkd
network-manager

Before you go down the road of making modifications to files, execute as root

dhclient INTERFACENAME

Hopefully you'll get an address.

Best,
--FC