missing tools

I think this Debian won't install the common tools on this computer, I don't
know if it is because of its age or what, I selected #12 in the install, and
then I did #11 in the install, then installed grub and finished.
It does not understand sudo, I have to do su and enter the root password,
and it does not understand iw or ifconfig, or any other network commands I
find on-line.
So something in the installer used the wifi hardware, but it failed to
install the tools to use it.
I did lspci and it listed the hardware, including the Ethernet and the WIFI
chips.
I ran
tasksel --new-install again and did #12 and it stated 100%, but it didn't
change anything.
Any ideas?

Glenn