edbrowse weird behavior

Hi all,

I am trying to package a new version of edbrowse, but even the current
version *and* the Stretch version don't give me the expected results on
my system. (It seems to report the number of characters read instead of
the text itself). Can anybody here see text with edbrowse? Do other
people see the same? I.e. is this something weird on my system or is
edbrowse in Debian seriously broken?

(I am pretty sure I tested edbrowse some time ago myself, but packages
in Stretch have been rebuild, so maybe the issue lies there).

Paul