Re: Emacspeak and gnopernicus

Mirabella, Mathew J writes:
 > Hi all.
 >
 > Why is emacspeak as a deb package only available in the unstable tree,
 > and why is it only at version 17 in a deb package?  The version is now
 > up to 21, and it seems to be quite stable at 21 as emacspeak goes.

Perhaps the maintainer hasn't had time to update the package? You
could file a bug against the Emacspeak package, I suppose, but that
won't help the maintainer if other pressures are getting in the way.

 > Also has anyone had experience with really using gnopernicus for
 > applications and work?  I installed this with gnome and it seemed to
 > work, but very little of the controls on the screen were actually read
 > out.  The icons on the desktop were not read... in fact, the only thing
 > that was read was the gnopernicus window itself.

Various people have had much more success than this with Gnopernicus:
large parts of the desktop work, and the Sun accessibility releases of
Mozilla are improving. You could consider joining the
gnome-accessibility@gnome.org list if you aren't already subscribed.

Mention was made here recently that the Debian Gnopernicus packages,
currently quite out of date, are to be updated once certain bugs
involving Gnopernicus and the Debian Gnome 2.8 packages have been
sorted out.