Re: stack smashing detected

On 2/11/23 3:11 PM, Finn Thain wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Feb 2023, Stan Johnson wrote:
>
>> v5.1       x      SCSI2SD crashes, goes offline with activity LED on,
>> rootfs corrupted, needed to be restored from backups, SCSI2SD SD card
>> needed to have the Apple driver updated to boot MacOS
>>
>> v4.20     bad     stack smashing on first boot, corrupted rootfs (bad
>> superblock magic number) on second boot, fsck from a different rootfs
>> found many block counts wrong, rootfs had to be restored from backups
>
> That looks like an unrelated problem, presumably caused by hardware.

The SCSI2SD is the older 4.2 version. I suspect the changes made to SCSI
before v6.x may have fixed the corrupted filesystem problem with the
SCSI2SD 4.2. I think if there were hardware problems with the SCSI2SD
board or the SD card, then I would be seeing lots of errors in MacOS and
with v6.x kernels.

> It could be related to the problem you described to me that arises when
> you subdivide an SD card into multiple SCSI targets.

I have the SD card configured as only one SCSI target for this system.

> Anyway, if you want to pursue the stack smashing error you'll probably
> need to use a different storage device.

ok