RE: Amiga PCMCIA ethernet on d-i

Hi Adrian,

From: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de>
Sent: domingo, 26 de septiembre de 2021 14:51
> Did you check whether the necessary kernel modules are present on the
> booted installer system? They should be in /lib/modules/$(VERSION)/*.

On Debian Sarge it lists: 8390.o, a2065.o, apne.o, ariadne.o, dummy.o, hydra.o and zorro8390.o

The apne.o is the Amiga PCMCIA NE2000-compatible driver [1]. But it won't detect the DE-660+ for some reason (it ends on a kernel dump) if I force loading it.

> Then it needs to be enabled as a debian-installer module in the directory
> debian/installer/* in the kernel packaging source [1].

The module that contains apne driver is not on hd-media initrd, but it is in a udeb package -don't know which one- read after iso-scan got the ISO from any partition with a supported filesystem. So I can test it on Sarge hd-media, but not on recent snapshots.

Also, I have seen there have been very recent kernel patches from Michael Schmitz to the Amiga PCMCIA driver [2], it looks like for probing 16-bit cards; so I think it will be better to make tests on a recent kernel snapshot rather than the old Sarge distribution. I will wait for the fixed hd-media.

If I am successful, I will make a install video -like the one I did for NetBSD [3]- and write updated install and FAQ documentation :)

Regards,
Carlos

[1] https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.14.7/source/drivers/net/ethernet/8390/apne.c
[2] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-m68k/1630206710-5954-3-git-send-email-schmitzmic@gmail.com/