Jesse Osiecki
919-792-8579
jessejosiecki.com

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 12:44 AM, Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Jun 2014, Jesse Osiecki wrote:
>
>> Here is the card:
>> https://plus.google.com/109462544230786920924/posts/WSbfzCoFnUf
>
> This card was made by Sonic Systems and has an SMSC 91C96 chip. There is a
> Linux driver for this chip (smc9194) but it lacks support for comm-slot
> cards.

Oh man,,,

> There is an old smc9194 driver in the 2.2 CVS branch at
> http://sourceforge.net/p/linux-mac68k that appears to have support for
> nubus and comm-slot cards. I don't know whether the authors ever pushed it
> to kernel.org...

This is starting to sound like an adventure!

> The macsonic driver works with cards made by Apple and Dayna that have a
> "Systems Oriented Network Interface Card" (SONIC) chip, made by National
> Semiconductor. So the question is, how did the macsonic driver probe it in
> the first place?
I would have to guess that either the macsonic driver has a bug, or
that the chip is giving out false information. I would be more
inclined to guess the latter.

> The smc9194 driver at sourceforge will ignore cards that pass the macsonic
> probe test:
>
>         card_present = hwreg_present((void*)ONBOARD_SONIC_REGISTERS);
>
> So it seems that either your macsonic driver lacks this test or else
> hwreg_present() isn't working.
I'm on the 3.15 branch, and looking through the macsonic driver it
does have that test. Alternatively, the brute force method here, that
still does some good, would be for me to compile a new kernel without
the macsonic driver builtin, add in the old smc9194 driver (I'm going
to guess with modifications, there is a first for everything ;) ), and
then make a new branch for this modified kernel on my github, and link
it in this mailing list conversation, so that the next guy can just
drop it into his install. I'll download the driver tonight and see
what I can do