ilmbase

Hi,

ilmbase failed to build properly; the test suite failed.

libilmbase-dev is a build-dependency of openexr, and libopenexr-dev is a
build-dependency of kdelibs4c2a, which lies at the root of a whole slew
of other build-deps. kdelibs4c2a is built against an outdated version of
openexr, which makes it uninstallable currently, and with it everything
that uses something related to KDE. In order to fix that situation,
ilmbase would need to be fixed.

The maintainer of ilmbase (Adeodato Simo) told me he's not very familiar
with the code (he only maintains it because some package he cares about
needs it). Anyone feel up to investigating what's going wrong?

(I'd do it, but since I'm moving currently, I have little time, if any)

On a side note, I wrote a piece of perl recently that will walk the
dependency tree until it finds a package that is uninstallable. I found
it very helpful in doing stuff I used to do manually. You can get it at
http://comp.uter.be/perl-Packages/ -- first feed a Packages file to
cache-packages; then run check-dep-waits, and specify a package name --
the script will output a suggested dep-wait line. Note that if it's a
library, you need to verify the suggestion; if the package is
uninstallable because of a soname change, then the dep-wait line is
wrong, by definition.

Also see my blog post on the subject, at
http://www.grep.be/blog/en/computer/debian/dep-wait-parser

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22