Re: gcc-4.3 vs glibc?

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Stephen R Marenka wrote:

> I'm not liking the feeling that our old libc and new gcc-4.3
> (gcc-4.3_4.3.0-2) aren't getting along well.
>
> I have probably 20 failed packages, of which the following are
> representative examples.
>
> They all are compiled with -std=gnu99. It looks like that construct
> worked fine for gcc-4.2.
>
> Anyone care to follow this up?
>
> Makes me wonder if we can compile a modern glibc without TLS. I hope
> someone reading this is feeling called to be the glibc maintainer for
> m68k. Otherwise, I'm not sure we're going to get out of this.

The glibc support for the C99 inline semantics was added in glibc 2.6 (via
a large 2007-03-16 patch of Jakub's and some followups), and 2.6 is also
the version where all the non-TLS support was removed.  GCC 4.3 and later
use C99 inline semantics in -std=gnu99 mode.  To use any earlier version
of glibc with GCC 4.3 you need at least to backport the large patch.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com