Re: [Debconf-team] Food [Re: Registration questions]

Martín Ferrari <tincho@tincho.org> writes:

> On 05/02/15 18:49, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
>
>> I think this is right(er), although still pointless IMO. I do not
>> believe (most) people expect to eat meat at every meal. I think it
>> would be easier to agree with our caterer to provide meat for
>> approximately half of the days. I don't think it'd be seen as too
>> little, and I think you would approve of the idea of setting a
>> hard-maximum on served meat! :)
>
> As I said before, the problem is not the form, but the caterers just
> putting N vegetarian and M meat-including dishes, instead of offering a
> bit more choice.
>
> Instead of trying to have no-meat days, the caterer could just have some
> extra vegetarian on offer, and let people choose, while having a reserve
> for the people who only eat vegetarian.

I think this is the right approach to the problem Daniel (dkg) was
worried about in his reply. Finding the right proportion of vegetarian
food will be an iterative process. I suggest to start with a proportion
of vegetarian which seems like a bit too much to make sure we don't have
a shortage for those that only eat vegetarian food and as a safety
precaution keep some reserve in case we still run out.

If there is not enough meat for everyone that would like to have some,
that's not a big problem as I doubt that they can't eat the vegetarian
option. We can then order a bit more meat the next time meat is on the
menu. This assumes that we have some flexibility in this until about the
day before.

That's more or less how we approached this during DC13 and there the
kitchen crew even to some degree self adjusted this. To most important
thing in my experience is to be in close relation to the venue
(including the kitchen crew) to be able to adapt and find solutions
during the event. During DC13 we had a daily coordination meeting with
them to discuss these things. This is much more important than insisting
on exact numbers.

Gaudenz