Re: [Debconf-team] DC15 - Prices and deals for non-sponsored attendees

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 5:37 PM, Margarita Manterola
<margamanterola@gmail.com> wrote:

> fee... This is a hard exercise, we need to balance how much people are
> willing to pay with how much we would like to receive. I propose we
> lower the numbers a little, encouraging people to pay.

If we trust people to do the right thing, we could simply offer ranges
of pay-what-you-want.

> * Corporate: lodging+food (charged by the hostel per day of stay) + EUR 400
> * Professional: lodging+food (charged by the hostel per day of stay) + EUR 150

What about

* Corporate: lodging+food (charged by the hostel per day of stay) +
EUR 400-infinity
* Professional: lodging+food (charged by the hostel per day of stay) + € 100-399

If someone has a budget of X per year and they want to spend it all on
us, we should offer a way for them to do that.

We need to choose lower limits that ensure no one games the system, of course.

> * Self-paid: lodging+food (charged by the hostel per day of stay)
> * Semi-sponsored: EUR 150
> * Sponsored: EUR 0

* Self-reliant
* Supported
* Sponsored

Those are a bit loaded, but they are honest.

> I'd like to make self-paid the default when signing up, and have
> information to attendees about the categories with a message
> encouraging those who can pay to pay (something along the lines of:
> "There's a limit to the amount of attendees that we can sponsor,
> paying for your stay if you can afford it means other in need may get
> to come").

The Linux Foundation also charges a no-show fee for their events; is
this something we want to pursue to prevent "safety" reservations
which are then forfeited?

> Apart from this, I'd like to give some kind of recognition to anybody
> that helps pay for DebConf.  Some token of appreciation according to
> the amount they gave.  For semi-sponsred or self-paid it could be a
> debian sticker with a value of 1 or 2 EUR.  For prof and corp, it
> could be something with a value of 5 EUR or so (a mug maybe?), plus
> having their name and their company names in a webpage in the
> website...

I think the name-on-website may be overdoing things, but else, I like it.

O'Reilly has a deal where FOSDEM donors of €50 or over get a free
book. Maybe we could find something like that? There are a few Debian
books.

> What do you all think about this?

I think it's great that you and Maxy are doing a general
push-and-shove in all directions,
thanks a lot for that!

Richard