[Debconf-team] DebConf14 Dates And Upcoming Decisions

Good morning, everyone!

The time has come, my oyster friends, to speak of dates and things!

So, we know we have Portland State University reserved for the last week of
August, and can get the weekends capping either side of that week for Things
We Need.  Now, though, we need to decide what dates we should start and end
the conference proper, what dates will be available for travel, arrivals and
departures, and how, if at all, we're going to handle separate hacking time
(as opposed to talks/BOFs).

==== Calendar ====

        August
Su  Mo  Tu  We  Th  Fr  Sa
		    01	02
03  04  05  06  07  08  09
10  11  12  13  14  15  16
17  18  19  20  21  22  23
24  25  26  27  28  29  30
31

==== Things We Know ====

Right now, we know we have the dates  24 Aug - 30 Aug, with departure of no
later than 1 September 2014 for our official venue.

Right now, we know the official venue (for talks and BOFs) is booked on
either side of those dates during the week for other
conferences/organizations, so for the rooms we need, we'll *have to* have
talks scheduled somewhere between 23/24 August and 30/31 August.

Right now, we know our accommodations will become limited starting on 1
September 2014 (people are returning to school and the dorms will no longer
be available to us at that time).

Monday, 1 September 2014 is a US holiday, meaning our access to university
personnel may be severely limited. (And people will need to keep that in
mind for travel reasons; this is Labor Day in the US, and travel is
*extremely* busy on this day.)

==== Things We Need to Decide ====

1. Daytrip - yes or no? And when? During the week is ideal, as there will
   be less traffic and less conflict with other tourists/weekend
   travellers.

2. DebCamp - yes or no? We do not have official venue (talk rooms) for the
   week prior to our reserved dates (or the week after). If we do have
   DebCamp, it will need to be restricted in number and time (it won't be
   a week long).

3. Separate Hacking Time - yes or no? One thing the organizers would like
   to see is hacking and collaborating time (different from DebCamp) that
   doesn't conflict with the Talks Schedule.

4. Talks - Call for Team! - We need to decide when the talks start, when
   they end, tracks, what days, how many, etc. This is key to declaring
   our dates.

==== DC13 Final Report ====

How close to finished with this are we? What remains?

==== DC14 Fundraising Brochure ====

Where are we at with this? How long after the DC13 Final Report is finished
can we be ready to push out the DC14 information?

==== Summary ====

Go team, go!

Patty

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski