Re: [Debconf-team] Special sponsorship

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 18:02:30 -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz <jimmy@debian.org> wrote:
> This would be very useful indeed, so that next year's team can be aware of
> additional transparency / appearance-of-impropriety gotchas and avoid them
> better than we did. Based on this thread we had at least the appearance of
> doing something wrong, even though I know nobody had corrupt intentions and I
> don't think anything actually improper or shady happened.

I do agree that we had the appearance of impropriety, however I would go
one step further and say that there were clearly things done wrong,
(although not deliberately).

The *appearance* of impropriety is incredibly important to an auditor[0]
who might at any point decide to scrutinize SPI as an
organization. Regardless if it was intentional or not, its the
appearance that matters. Appearance of impropriety would include any
board member engaging in any activity that could be seen from the
outside as potentially a conflict of interest. Conflict of interest
would, without question, include these things, that did happen this time
around:

 . a board member directly rating oneself for travel sponsorship (it
 doesn't matter why that was done, the fact that it was done is what
 matters)

 . having a husband rate a wife and a wife rate a husband (again, it
 doesn't matter that it wasn't done nefariously, and I really doubt that
 it was)

 . having rules that result in exclusion of funds to people who are not
 part of the process, that are not board members. and then not applying
 those rules to the people who are part of the process who are board
 members

 . having a comittee that appears to execute a process that results in
 allocation of money between board members.

There is nothing legally wrong with having an organization that has no
board members doing the above, but there *is* something socially wrong
about such a process.

micah

0. To be clear to people who are not familar: an IRS audit is a
review/examination of an organization's accounts and financial
information to ensure information is being reported correctly, according
to the US tax laws, to verify the amount of tax reported is
accurate. The IRS is the Internal Revenue Service, which is the tax
authority in the USA.

An organization can be selected for an audit for a number of different
reasons, it does not mean that the organization failed in some way or
committed in some error[1].

An auditor might be assigned by the IRS to scrutinize SPI and when that
happens it means that SPI's financial status as a non-profit
organization, and by extension (due to it acting as a fiscal sponsor to
other free software projects), other free software projects' financial
status would be in potential jeapordy while the auditor attempted to
find accounting abuses, nepotism, malfeasance, vested conflict of
interest, or fraud (I may have missed one).

Selection can include: random selection and computer screening -
sometimes returns are selected based solely on a statistical
formula. Document matching - when payor records, don't match the
information reported. Transactions with other taxpayers, whose returns
were selected for audit. Audits are also randomly done, or when fraud
has been reported, or when your organization is a particular type of
organization that is frequently abused for tax evasion, so closer
scrutiny is applied. A 501(c)3 is, due to its special tax free donation
status, subject to much closer scruitiny than most other legal corporate
structures that exist in the US. These are often commonly called "red
flags" that trigger audits