Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf (new) local budget

Hi

Here is an updated budget with new information.

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 07:17:29PM -0400, Richard Darst wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is an emergency budget update.  As you know from latest mails,
> local information has changed a lot, and we now have to actually
> budget all of our things.
>

> Local Incomes
> =============
>
> We have 150k€ allocated from the government.
>
> We are supposed to have 12.5€ from a local sponsor (the one I
> mentioned in other reports).  I hope this cash and real, but I can't
> verify.

If we raise more from local sponsors, the gov gives us less.  So we
still have effectively 150k€ = 12.5k€ (local) + 137.5k€ (gov) max
locally still.

> Local Expenses
> ==============
>
>   Venue: 51.000 € - it turns out that we *do* have to pay for this, and
>   it comes from our 150k€ budget.

  Venue is NOT a cost for us.  The venue does cost that much, but is
  paid directly from the gov (so not included in our 150k€)

>   Hotels: 70k to 80k €, depending on details of room allocation.

  Doing my calculation again, with 160 people in Hotel Bosna, and
  filling it completely first, the cost is 75k€.  Filling the cheaper
  hotels first make the cost as low as 60k€.  If Hotel Bosna has only
  one person per room (even twins), for a total of only 120 people, cost
  can be closer to 71k€.

>   Food: 31k€ is my rough estimate.

  The 7.5€ is per meal, not per day.  Thus, it is double 17.5k€.  It is
  expensive, we asked for other options but didn't get any.  If we can
  pay for what people actually go to eat, instead of what people
  request, we can reduce the cost more.  If we have to pay for all of
  our attendees (cafeteria can't take payments at the door), it could
  go up.

This makes the new total cost from 91 to 106k€.

> Already, this is 152k €  -- more than the gov's 150k€ !  Additional
> possible costs:
>
>   T-shirts: I had 3k€ in the budget, but we have never gotten an actual
>   local quote on this.

  DIVA wanted Debian to pay for this with external money, however we
  will try to add it to our local budget.

>   Insurance: Our estimate was 1k€, but again, I haven't seen an actual
>   quote.

  Not included in our 150k€, this is in trade for sponsorship.

>   Conference-Dinner: costs unknown.
>
>   Day-Trip: unknown, there is a report of a new day trip plan that is
>   free, but we need more details.
>
>   Diva-Costs: Diva implied that they would want to keep a local 12.5€
>   sponsorship to cover their costs of organizing DebConf, if it was not
>   needed for the conference.  Of course, we haven't asked them to spend
>   any of their own money on DebConf.  We will just have to see what we
>   can make of the situation.  Ideally, we would stick to our agreement
>   and recover the excess money.

Summary
=======

91-106k € - Critical expenses
3k€         - Other important expenses
?????       - Other expenses
95-110k €,  - total
              but could vary by 10-20k€ easily

150k        - total local spending power

This is much less bad than before, and as long as we are aware of our
expenses, we should be able to fit things in 150k€.  However, DIVA
wants to cut local costs to around 100k€ to look good, so we need to
push for the best DebConf possible - which doesn't mean most
expensive, but focusing on spending on the things we know make a good
DebConf.

I think we should be able to get the closer hotels and still come
under budget by a significant amount.

- richard