Re: [Debconf-team] Networking agenda

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:10:36PM -0400, micah wrote:
> I'm also curious to know a few things from past debconfs, such as
> previous network bandwidth usage patterns, expected network services,
> lessons learned from past, other considerations we need to take into
> account.

I'll attach a snip of irclog where Ganneff mostly answers the past
services question.
--- Day changed Mon Jun 21 2010
00:10 < Hydroxide> edrz: currently I have local admin rights in debconf ldap, and we'll have two global debconf-admin team people, including h01ger who has been doing it the longest. (debconf ldap is relevant if and only if we want to tie our local machines into that)
00:11 < Hydroxide> the other global admin in attendance will be schultmc who is new to debconf-admin... oh, plus noodles who IIRC was added but maybe not fully set up
06:04 < tio> hello people. smebody can help me? I new in deban I installed it 1 hour ago. archive manager dont open files .deb    archiv manager said what it cant open . deb. what I must do?
09:15 < edrz> Hydroxide: ok. but, that still doesn't answer the question of "what services do we need to provide?"
10:54 < DrDub> edrz, Hydroxide: LDAP... dictd... am I missing something? Also with respect to "our computational stuff" during DebConf, what about Avahi?
10:54 < edrz> huh?
10:54 < DrDub> edrz: :-)
10:55 < DrDub> edrz: what are you guys talking about LDAP, by the way?
10:55 < DrDub> edrz: I thought you were talking about services offered on the network to conference attendees
10:55 < DrDub> edrz: another way to offer certain services is by using Avahi / ZeroConf
10:55 < edrz> DrDub: i'm not sure what Hydroxide's ldap point was.
10:56 < edrz> i mean, yes, we'll need people with the needed access to take care  of LDAP permissions and stuff.
10:56 < DrDub> edrz: and what do we use the LDAP for, aside from logging into our servers?
10:56 < edrz> but, Clint and I and micah and probably others were trying to figure out what attendees generally expect to be running on debconf machines
10:57 < Ganneff> what do you need with ldap that cant be prepared before?
10:57 < Ganneff> well, or during setup. its not much actually
10:57 < DrDub> edrz, ah, that's the connection between the topics. Got it.
10:57 < edrz> Ganneff: i don't know. ask Hydroxide what he meant ...
10:57 < Ganneff> we will need your ssh host key, you will need to install a ud-ldap package
10:58 < Ganneff> we will need the usernames of those you want to have local admin (they need a debconf.org account)
10:58 < Ganneff> thats about it.
10:58 < Ganneff> dns you get dc10.debconf.org to a ns delegated you have there.
10:58 < edrz> Ganneff: what services have you typically run on homer? (is that the usual name of the DC gateway machine?)
10:58 < Ganneff> homer, yes
10:58 < Ganneff> smtp relay for all in our net
10:58 < Ganneff> dhcp/dns
10:58 < Ganneff> mirror or at least mirror redirector
11:01 < Ganneff> upload queue
11:01 < Ganneff> firewall/routing
11:03 < edrz> + traffic shaping?
11:03 < Ganneff> yes
11:03 < Ganneff> all things that can be done at the point right between all our attendees and the outside world
11:04  * edrz nods
11:04 < biella> edrz, i think one more meeting is a super good idea
11:04 < Ganneff> for some, we have extra machines. like, the local streaming master
11:04 < Ganneff> or a "playmachine" for every attendee who wants to.
11:04 < biella> also i think an agenda iten, which i will spearhead: is volunteer coordination for debconf. what do we need folks for and i might try to rope some boston folks in
11:05 < edrz> yes. i have a good handle on the v-t needs, i think.
11:06 < edrz> biella: if you have a moment, we could start an agenda for a hypothetical future meeting on http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf10/Meetings#Local_Team.2C_Date.2C_Time.2C_Place_to_be_determined
11:07 < biella> i do edrz
11:07 < edrz> Ganneff: can you expand upon what people will want a "playmachine" to be capable of doing?
11:07 < edrz> or, rather, what physical resources should such a machine have.
11:08 < biella> ok added edrz
11:08 < edrz> :)
11:08 < Ganneff> edrz: random building of packages
11:08 < Ganneff> a gameserver (tetrinet anyone? wesnoth?)
11:09 < edrz> Ganneff: ok. thanks. That helps a lot to have a list.