Re: [Debconf-team] Draft for Linux Journal, plenty of space for improvement

Well, the question is of course what do we want to obtain from this
ad. I welcome other people to jump into the discussion.

Last global meeting:

http://meetbot.debian.net/debconf-team/2010/debconf-team.2010-04-28-20.00.log.html

(look at 20:20)

there wasn't many people interested in the subject and the few voices
where in the direction that inviting people to register in July wasn't
worth it.

(continuing below)

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 9:29 PM, Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 8:53 PM, Pablo Duboue <pablo.duboue@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Interesting, I thought we didn't want to "sell" DebConf and wanted
>> instead to promote Debian Day... there were reservations about having
>> a lot of people registering at the last minute without much interest
>> in Debian itself.
>
> I wasn't involved in that convo. but I will throw in my point of view,
> since you clearly didn't ask for it. ;)

ah? I'm of course asking for it :-) see below...

> I feel that promoting DebConf itself is not a bad thing, if we make it
> clear what the purpose of DebConf is, and what the expectations of
> participants is. That said, including info on Debian Day (openday?)
> and keeping focus on getting the word out for it is mandatory.

well, even though it is full page, there's really not so much space
for stuff. Did you see the draft I sent? It mentions DebConf10 at the
bottom and the text I put there (from the sponsors pack) most probably
will be better off with the text in the whiteboard, although at 12pt
font the text about DebConf10 in the whiteboard won't fit.

Interestingly enough, I am now in a position to defend a decision
which I didn't agree with. Where were you guys during the global team
meeting? ;-) ;-)

This ad costs our sponsor quite a bit of money. It'd be great if we
can make the most out of it. I was of the idea of yes, inviting more
people, thinking that having more last-minute, impulse type of (host
country) attendees can help us scalp^Wcharge them for things we'll
provide for free to sponsored  attendees (and thus shorten the gap
between attendees from development countries and locals).

At any rate, I'd be delighted if somebody take this off my plate so I
can go back to hunt sponsors. I am now in a personal obligation with
Linux Journal to provide this ad by May 4th as I answered their RT
ticket (oh boy ;-). At the global team meeting only Sapphire
volunteered to help out, but I should have sent out an email right
after the meeting asking for more people's opinion. I wasn't happy
with the idea of making the conference less inclusive but nobody
objected to that concept at that time.

By the way, I want to ask Valessio for help by I don't think it is
really reasonable to ask him to make a full page ad in such a short
notice (particularly given the fact he does this type of things for a
living), so I'm trying to give him something finished for him to make
some magical passes if he has time.

P.