Re: [Debconf-team] Planning for the schedule

Le jeudi 02 avril 2009 à 13:55 +0100, Daniel Silverstone a écrit :
> Right, so having slots nominally allocated to "spontaneously erupting
> talk/BOF" is needed :-)

This also depends on the rooms available -- those slots could be in a
room that never has events from the main schedule.

> Some talks naturally take less time, some take more. I wonder if we
> should schedule on 30m granularity with the expectation that talks tend
> to take two 30m slots. Something to ponder, anyhow.

If this happens, it would be better to keep events in different rooms
synchronised (perhaps using padding for alignment), to avoid lots of
people coming in/going out half way through a talk.

> Certainly. I think keynotes should be scheduled at a sensible time,
> however at least one is likely to be the "welcome to debconf" talk which
> probably ought to be scheduled as the first talk on the first day, but
> perhaps not in the first timeslot (iyswim)

This year the first DebConf day is also the Open Day -- so probably
there should be some kind of more general welcome talk in the first
slot.  (I don't know if any additional welcome event is needed later for
full attendees.)

> Are first slots not attended well, or is it early-in-the-day is not
> attended well. If we made the first talk slot be at 11am, would it be
> poorly attended?

My feeling from what I've seen at a few DebConfs is that it's mostly an
early-in-the-day thing -- vastly more attendees like to stay up late at
night hacking and chatting than like to get up early in the morning (and
most attendees are using their holiday time to come to DebConf).
There's probably also some influence from the slot order, but I don't
think adding lots of additional even-earlier talks would make 9 a.m.
talks reliably attended.

If people sleep through 11 a.m. talks they'll probably sleep until
lunchtime anyway, but I think that's a much smaller number, so no I
don't think there would be poor attendance at that time.

> talks run from 16:00 to 20:00

As I understand it from César, the main venue will close at 20:00.  If
that's a strict time limit we'd need to stop the talks a while earlier
than that, or schedule them in the hall in the accommodation block.

--
Moray