Re: [Debconf-discuss] btrfs deduplication / bedup users at DebConf13?

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 12:35:35AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 09:17:01PM +0200, Steve Schnepp wrote:
> > > There are two ways:
> >
> > I'm exploring a third way, entirely userspace (I'll draft a mixed one at
> > the end).
> >
> > For that I'm using the "hardlink" package.
>
> Oh, right! I didn't think about this, but it does in fact perfectly fit
> the sources.d.n use case (deduplication granularity is mostly at the
> file level, file only changes at every 6-hour update, etc).
>
> With how many files have you tried it (max)?
>
> Feel free to catch me in the hacklab (i.e. the bar :)) to discuss this,
> or let me know how to recognize you.

There are backup tools working this way (rsync also have this option:
--link-dest) rsnapshot (which builds on rsync also uses this) so this is a
viable option.

The number of hardlink on a file is practicaly limitless.

Regards,
  cstamas
--
CSILLAG Tamas (cstamas) - http://cstamas.hu/