Re: [Debconf-discuss] Going to Nicaragua from Europe: avoid Iberia

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 00:48:25 -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz <jimmy@debian.org> wrote:
> Through SkyTeam.com, you can also access the schedules of all SkyTeam partners
> to plan your flights on the airline of your choice."
>
> DebConf12's Event ID is 2254S.
>
> Let me know if you have any issues!

Looking for flights from Berlin, trying out various dates, but settling
on these as a definite example: 27th June ... 16th July

Looking on expiedia.de I get offered a KLM flight (Out: 09:15..19:36,
Return: 14:49...16:30 among many options) for:

  1,145.49  EUR

the global meetings cheapest price for that flight is:

  1,245.49 EUR

although they are offering a cheaper, and slightly worse timings for:

  1,208.49  EUR

Neither of these show as attracting the group discount, as the price is
shown in blue.

I do note that one can get a supposedly discounted price by dropping the
first leg, from Berlin to Amsterdam, and booking from Amsterdam to
Managua instead, but the "discounted" rate is:

  1,379.02 EUR

which is typical of airline pricing insanity -- clearly it costs them
150 EUR (plus whatever the supposed discount was) to _not_ carry one
From Berlin to Amsterdam *sigh*

Expedia.co.uk (the first search that showed the same flight, and only
the second search I tried) will sell me that exact ticket for:

  1,129.80 GBP so about 1355.76 EUR

so the discount appears to be negative.

It really pisses me off when people claim to offer a special discount
and turn out to be a rip-off, so if you're tempted to use this group
thingy please make sure you're not paying extra for the privilege.

Cheers, Phil.