Re: [Debconf-discuss] barcade

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 10:12:59 -0400, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
> there is also the original asteroids from 1979 with pre-pixel graphics

Heh.  I actually bought a vintage Asteroids game in the "coffee table"
configuration earlier this year that's now in my basement.  It's a blast
(all puns intended!) to play with my kids and friends.  The display is
actually a monochrome vector display with a resolution of 1024x768
"positions".  Because it draws real line segments, it gives the illusion
of even higher resolution than that because there are no "jagged" line
segments.  Given the 8-bit processor and remainder of the system design,
I remain completely impressed by how much fun it is to play more than 30
years later...  ;-)

The schematics, user manual, and ROM images are trivial to locate on the
net if anyone is curious and wants to learn more about what's inside
video games of that era.

Bdale