Re: New tool for packing files into an ISO image

Tom Horsley wrote:
On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 18:50:46 -0800
BitBucket wrote:

Tom:

I'm a bit behind the curve (as a matter of policy, mostly).  What would be
an 'old' tool for packing files into an ISO image that you were improving
upon?  Looking for Windows GUI-based tools here, to pack offloads onto DVDs.
As far as I know, there is no old tool for doing this. This one is
new because I just wrote it, not because it replicates the function
of some old tool (at least I couldn't find any existing tool
or I probably wouldn't have written this one :-).

There is a useful tool for determining what will fit on a media size, and it has been around. since the mid 1990s, called breaker. It takes as input a list of items and sizes, such as are creates by
  ls -s | sort -n
    or
  du -S | sort -n
and you provide the size of the media, optional rounding up in size of each item, optional fixed overhead per item (tar/cpio headers), and have options to generate a file list inone-file-per-media format and optionally use a format suitable for the "graftpoints" option in cdrecord.

It's still on public.tmr.com as source, I started it before CD burners were common and I was backing up a massice 600MB drive to 60MB takes. The problem hasn't changed, the numbers have just gotten bigger. :-(

--
Bill Davidsen<davidsen@tmr.com>
  We are not out of the woods yet, but we know the direction and have