Re: growisofs within cron

Hi,

> Hi Andy, How do you run growisofs from within cron -i

i'm not Andy but i know of people who use growisofs
via cron. So it is not impossible.

With said cronruns growisofs gets its input via stdin
from some formatter program (e.g. mkisofs) :
  some_formatter | \
  growisofs -use-the-force-luke -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdc=/proc/self/fd/0

> what environmental variables need setting?

All in all, those cron scripts do ensure that HOME and EUID
are set, and set PATH to a content as in an interactive
shell.
Since all three are needed by the wrappers around growisofs
there might be no growisofs-specific need for preset
environment variables at all.

  fgrep getenv dvd+rw-tools-5.21.4.10.8/*
reveals usage of SUDO_COMMAND, MKISOFS, MEDIAD_GOT_EXCLUSIVEUSE
of which none is set in my interactive shell. So obviously
they are not mandatory.
(My own cron environment is quite generously equipped, so
i am not the ideal tester for cron woes.)

Did you experience any problems with growisofs and cron yet ?

For example this behavior described in man growisofs ?
"
 If the  media  already  carries  isofs  and  growisofs  is
 invoked  with  -Z  option  non-interactively, e.g. through
 cron, it shall fail with "FATAL: /dev/dvd already  carries
 isofs!" Note that only ISO9660 is recognized, you can per­
 fectly zap e.g. an UDF filesystem non-interactively.
"

If so, then this snippet from growisofs.c might give a clue
"
 * Revision history:
 * 5.2:
 * - undocumented -use-the-force-luke flag to overwrite the media
 *   none interactively;
"

Have a nice day :)

Thomas