Re: [Nbd] Proposal to merge WRITE_ZEROES extension into master

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 05:02:40PM +0000, Alex Bligh wrote:
> I propose we merge the WRITE_ZEROES extension into master. This
> effectively promotes the extension to mainline support.
>
> Factors in favour:
> * WRITE_ZEROES has been stable since April.
> * The branch includes a reference implementation
> * Other implementations (gonbdserver and I believe Qemu) use
>   it or at least have implementations
> * Uncontroversial, minimally impacting
> * Reduction in the number of branches
>
> Factors against:
> * No kernel implementation to my knowledge, but I don't
>   think that's a killer
>
> Wouter and anyone else - any objections / views?

Go ahead, as far as I'm concerned.

Did the implementation of WRITE_ZEROES encounter any issues with the spec that
we might want to fix up? Or did things work out as expected? I do
remember that when STARTTLS was first implemented, I ended up fixing the
spec to match the implementation, for instance...

--
< ron> I mean, the main *practical* problem with C++, is there's like a dozen
       people in the world who think they really understand all of its rules,