Re: [Linux-ia64] PROPOSED: 32/64 bit coexistance

On 18 Sep 2001, Jes Sorensen wrote:

> Doug> Your reponse is welcome and invited.  The LSB and FHS groups are
> Doug> trying to better address the coexistance of 32 and 64 bit in the
> Doug> 64 bit Itanium environment.
>
> Doug> Please review the following proposal and respond to the
> Doug> "lsb-spec@lists.linuxbase.org" and
> Doug> "lsb-discuss@lists.linuxbase.org" mail lists.
>
> David> When will people learn that for Linux, source compatibility is
> David> just as important as binary compatibility?  For IA-64 Linux,
> David> the decision was made that native libraries go into /lib etc
> David> and that legacy libraries go somewhere else
> David> (/usr/i386-*-linux/lib, commonly).
>
> Not to mention that ld.so has already been fixed to handle searching
> through library directories containing libraries for a different
> architecture than ld.so is running on itself. Hence the whole point of
> ia32 binaries being unable to cope with ia64 binaries in /lib is
> completely useless.
>
> It would have been extremely nice if the people who decided to write
> this standard had started out by asking the people who did the
> implementation work how the architecture really works and what
> experience has been gained in these areas already.

Who said, that this is already a "standard"? It's a proposal and you are
welcome to comment on it. It seems like everybody is aware of the problem
- this documents simply attempt to make sure, that we all play on the same
sheet of music and avoid yet another difference between implementations.

Bye,
	LenZ
 Lenz Grimmer                                           SuSE GmbH
 mailto:grimmer@suse.de                       Schanzaeckerstr. 10
 http://www.suse.de/~grimmer/            90443 Nuernberg, Germany
                 The trodden path is the safest.