Re: [PROPOSAL] (Ch.16 FHS) be more specific on file/dir permissions

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 03:02:10PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> >       o The application must not depend on having directory write
> >         permission outside /tmp, /var/tmp and his home directory.
> 						s/his/its/
> 		(language pedantry, not intended as a criticism)

ACK

> >       o The application must not depend on owning these directories.
> >       o The system may restrict directory write permissions for these
> >         directories by setting the "sticky bit" for them.
>
> 	Including home ?

Yes, as local sysadmin I want to be able to place a empty rhosts file
(owned by root) in home directories, to prevent users from opening
rsh security holes. To prevent the users from deleting .rhosts,
I need the sticky bit on the home directory.

> >     o   The system must grant the permissions needed to use them
> >         to all libraries, executables and data files mentioned in the
> >         LSB document, and included standards.

> Stop a moment. Grant to whom ? Do I grant perl the ability to the shadow
> password file for example ;)
OK, let "reword" this paragraph.

       o   The system must grant to the application the permissions needed
           to use all libraries, executables and data files mentioned in the
           LSB document and included standards.

> > o   log in as user root
>
> 'root' isnt always the name used. There may be multiple priviledge levels -
> how about 'log in as a privileged user'
ACK

--
    /  ___/__/  /                 Caldera (Deutschland) GmbH