Re: lsb-apache rpms

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 04:43:58PM -0800, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> Curious what you did to get around the build problems?

After all my ineptness and things I thought were problems but turned
out not to be, only two things stood out:

1) logresolve required some things not in lsb, and apache's build
process is sufficiently strange that I thought it was easier to
simply comment this out, so it isn't included in lsb-apache.

2) getpass() is required by apache but not in the build environment.
Luckily, apache already implements this for Windows in an #ifdef, so
I just hacked and added it back for lsb.

With those two changes, apache built in my lsbdev environment.
The rest of the time was spent in packaging, where apache doesn't have
a particularly simple spec file anywhere, and none that worked
close to what lsb needed. About 30 builds later, I think that the
ones on the server are at least testable.

> I'm also suspicious, the rpm is awfully small to actually
> contain the binaries...373k according to the ftp server.

The 420k httpd binary is larger than the one that comes on my Debian/Potato
box. I didn't include much cruft like the full manual/docs/etc, and it
is dynamically linked against the (lsb) libc et all.

Again, it will take me some time before I get an lsb runtime setup,
as I'm on a Debian system here with no rpm database (and using alien
just doesn't seem appropriate for real testing).

-drew

--
M. Drew Streib <dtype@dtype.org>, Free Standards Group (freestandards.org)
co-founder, SourceForge.net | core team, freedb | sysadmin, Linux Intl.