Re: RFC

Robert W Current, Ph D <current@hel-inc.com> writes:

> I have been a UNIX user for over 6 years now.  I have followed the
> LSB since before there was a LSB.  I have seen it get tons of press,
> have great ideas, and fade slowly into the background.  I think it's
> time for a swift kick in the rear end!

Hi Rob.

Is that an offer to help?  There is now an LSB task list located at

  http://sourceforge.net/pm/?group_id=1107

The list is not finished yet, but between it and unfinished parts of
the spec and stuff that the test suite doesn't cover, there's enough
work to be done.  A small number of people are concentrating on that
work and we're working on increasing our manpower.

> Second, any issue of "software packaging" should NOT be standardized
> by the LSB.

It does need to be handled (at least the binary package format) by the
LSB because 3rd party application vendors need to have a way to
deliver their software to LSB-compliant systems.  For now, the format
is .rpm since everyone supports it.

> Third, although I believe .tgz, .deb, .rpm, and the like are something
> the LSB shouldn't endorse, I do feel that how these packaging systems
> interact with what is "a LSB Compliant System" must be addressed.  This
> can NOT be avoided.  THINGS MUST CHANGE!
>
> Packaging systems must be free to develop on thier own, and do thier own
> thing.  BUT, most likely, all of them will have to be "adjusted" so that
> they fit within the scheme of what it is that the LSB is trying to
> address.

I'm not sure if you agree or disagree with me.

> And, finally.... IT'S BROKE!  Yes, IT'S BROKE!  We MUST FIX IT.  No "if
> it ain't broke, don't fix it" stuff applies.  There is an absolute need
> to change some of the fundumental underlying structure of what "Linux"
> is...  "Linux" must be DEFINED!

You could also use the word "documented" instead of "defined".

Actually, I don't think you're disagreeing with our current approach
very much.  Have you looked at the draft specification?

Also, this list doesn't get much traffic.  It's mostly on lsb-spec,
our meetings, and biweekly LSB specification conference calls (see the
talks web page).

Dan