Re: Extensions to Gopher, outcomes

FWIW: I did some testing several years ago for what I saw in gopher in the real world.

Sunrise Programmer: Gopher

On Friday, February 9, 2024 at 11:23:05 PM PST, Viatrix <viatrix@purelymail.com> wrote:

Hello gophers,
I am new to this mailing list and I am wondering what extensions to
Gopher have been proposed on the list, and what their outcomes were.

I recently started attempting to document the current state of Gopher:
<gopher://tilde.32bit.cafe/1/~vivivi/gopher_in_practice> but I have not
yet aggregated much info from this very mailing-list.
I'm seeing evidence that gophernicus.org also had similar
documentation to what I'm trying to make, but connecting to it with
gopher:// today just seems to stall.

I did find in this list's archives the following document:
<https://tinyurl.com/gopherrfc-draft>
I will comment (admittedly a decade or so late :p ) that 'example.com'
is probably not the best domain to use for an intended invalid link,
especially when the '.invalid' TLD exists for this very purpose.
And I will ask if the 'M' type was intended to follow the
message/rfc822 format — that's the impression I got when testing Gopher
clients but perhaps it's more complicated than that.