Re: Fwd: "NotAutomatic: yes" does not affect source packages

Thanks for your comprehensive answer.

Anyway, I am not sure respecting pinning is a good idea for source.
It isn't an automatic action in the sense that you aren't suddenly
installing a package with a different testing/support status.

You "just" get a bunch of files onto your system you have to post-
process before you can even dream about installing the resulting
package. Chances are high if you go to that trouble, you want the
latest and greatest – which is also why the command happily advertises
the VCS of a package which can include completely unreleased things.

And lastly, NotAutomatic and especially ButAutomaticUpgrades require
that you know which version of a package is installed. Which version
of a source package is installed if some of its binaries are not
installed and some are version 1 and some are version 2 ? You have
some idea if 'apt-get source' was started with a binary package, but
if a source package is given…

Ok, understood. But then, how do I make "apt-get" download the
non-backports sources? The only way I found so far is explicitly
specifying the suite, e.g.:

# apt-get source --download-only -t bullseye e2fsprogs

But while this works in this particular case, I assume it would fail
when the most recent package (apart from the one in the
bullseye-backports suite) would be located in either the
bullseye-updates or the bullseye-security suite: I would still only
download the version from the bullseye suite.

Thus, to rephrase my question: Is there a way to (temporarily) ignore
the line

deb-src https://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20230518T025801Z
bullseye-backports main

without removing it from /etc/apt/sources.list, followed by an apt-get
update? I tinkered with the -t option and with /etc/apt/preferences, but
I could not make it work so far.