Re: Ask Help

On Sun, Jun 18, 2023 at 07:46:10AM +0700, Budi wrote:
> was simply said
>
> Big problem is os-prober failed on here condition, kinda:
>
> Amd cpu machine, many partitions of HDD most of which are installed
> OSs, one is Artix, none is Debian (based)
>
> so os-prober run on Arch based badly failed, need to consult / bugreport
>
> thankfully there bugreport app. but this not core/MS repo (e.g AUR
> repo), needs long painful installations, one (of most painful) is the
> "apt" as it'll be DL extract, prepare build, compile...

So, you are trying to port Debians 'reportbug' package to Arch to report
from Arch a bug in os-prober (which Debian is considered upstream for) ?

Debians bugtracker is email based, so if you follow the documentation
(which recommends to use reportbug first, but with the assumption that
 you are using Debian…) you can easily format a mail yourself.

You can also create a Debian chroot (or a virtual machine or whatever
you prefer really) within Arch and report from there. You should provide
as much details about your (real) machine though as 'reportbug' will
collect all sorts of information but those will be mostly useless as
they will be talking about a virtual environment…

If you managed to port 'reportbug' onto Arch your situation would be
similar as reportbug depends e.g. on apt to ask it about which packages
are installed (with it) and so on. That report would be empty, as Arch
uses a different package manager (pacman?) … so, yeah, if you would
seriously port reportbug to Arch, you would need it to port it from apt
to pacman as well…

Best might be to start a Debian Live CD and run os-prober (and
reportbug) from there as you then clearly have a Debian system with
a known an supported setup, but (presumably) a bug in os-prober
you can ask to get fixed in Debian which would flow down to Arch
eventually.

I am not sure how Arch is usually doing things, but my general
recommendation would be to talk to the maintainer of the os-prober
package in Arch. They should know if/how/what upstream needs and
how to proceed.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies