APT unable to resolve dependencies with mixed sources

This is a weird problem and I can't find the nerve right now to
figure it out. I could be convinced to claim this is a bug... We
have a system with sarge/sid, pinned at sarge, and using the Ubuntu
Xorg packages (Ubuntu archive is pinned at 50).

We want to install libqt3-mt-dev and get:

  warrax:~# apt-get install libqt3-mt-dev
  Reading Package Lists... Done
  Building Dependency Tree... Done
  or been moved out of Incoming.

  that package should be filed.

    libqt3-mt-dev: Depends: xlibs-static-dev (>= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libxext-dev (>= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libxrandr-dev (>= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libsm-dev (>= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libxmu-dev (>= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libice-dev (>= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libx11-dev (>= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libxt-dev (>= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: xlibmesa-gl-dev but it is not going to be installed or
                            libgl-dev
                  Depends: xlibmesa-glu-dev but it is not going to be installed or
                            libglu1-mesa-dev but it is not going to be installed or
                            libglu-dev
                  Depends: libxft-dev but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libxrender-dev but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libxcursor-dev but it is not going to be installed
  E: Broken packages

I realise that this is not what APT usually does and that it is
probably a function of the version mix we caused. E.g. some X libs
are from Ubuntu, but with the Ubuntu archive pinned at 50, new
dependencies cannot be pulled in.

Nevertheless, I don't understand why APT trips. For instance, it
wants xlibs-static-dev (>= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) and says that "it is not
going to be installed"... well, install it then. This is Debian.
Pretty please. With sugar on top. You can, trust me:

  warrax:~# apt-cache policy xlibs-static-dev
  xlibs-static-dev:
    Installed: (none)
    Candidate: 4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1
    Version Table:
      6.8.2-10 0
          50 http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/main Packages
      4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1 0
          600 http://debian.ethz.ch sarge/main Packages
          98 http://debian.ethz.ch sid/main Packages

See, 4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1 is right there. So please.

The only way to get the package to install is to mention each of the
packages APT complains about on the command line:

  apt-get install libqt3-mt-dev xlibs-static-dev libxext-dev ...

Well, guess what: I won't.

So if someone could explain to me what exactly is APT's beef,
I would be really grateful.

`. `'`

it has been said that there are only two businesses
that refer to customers as users:
illegal drug trade and the computer industry.