Re: Probable FAQ: Will apt-get ever support HTTPS ?

    Jason> On 5 Feb 2001, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

    >> Are there any plans or patches for "apt-get" to make it support
    >> HTTPS transfers?

    Jason> No.

 Why not?

 What I'm wanting it for is this...

 We'd like to base a product on the Debian platform.  We want to
 restrict access to our mirror to our customers only, since there will
 be "value added" software, and we'll be auditting the stuff used
 straight from Debian...  I'm certain we are not the only ones doing
 the similar.

 I've not researched the problem much yet, so maybe I'm barking up the
 wrong tree, and don't really need SSL anyhow...  Authentication
 certainly; encryption, perhaps.

 I see that there is support for proxy servers with authentication...
 right?  Perhaps that can do what I need.  I've yet to read the
 relevant documentation, etc... don't flame me.  I'll read first then
 ask more questions later, if I need to.

 Thanks for Apt and Dpkg, folks. :-) We'll kick down some returns when
 we've got things to share back, of course.  Perhaps some
 debconfiscation patches at some point, etc... for various packages
 out there.

--
mailto: (Karl M. Hegbloom) karlheg@microsharp.com
http://www.microsharp.com