Re: (all version, incl. 0.17) this error seems to enjoy meeting me

Hi,
>>"Peter" == Peter Gervai <grin@tolna.net> writes:

 Peter> Inserting some debugging point into Cmd.pm shows that there is
 Peter> a RETR command, probably failing and closing the filehandle
 Peter> because some reason beyond me, and teh next QUIT command goes
 Peter> into the closed filehandle, failing. But the program
 Peter> continues, trying to issue MDTM on the package, probably using
 Peter> the very same closed filehandle, and catches an infinite wait.

 Peter> Stopping it only possible by ctrl-c AND kill -9 the background ftp
 Peter> session.

	I hate this. The API provides little support for more fault
 tolerant code. I have seriously begun to question the quality of the
 bundled FTP object libraries. Looking at the code reveals some quite,
 umm, poor, programming.

	I think we should eschew Net::FTP and rewrite the darned thing
 to be better fault tolerant. In the meanwhile, I shall try and wrap
 any incursion into the underlying libraries in an eval, and see if I
 can trap more errors of this kind.

	Unfortunately, I shall be leaving for a 2 week trip next week,
 so unless someone whants to hack at the ftp method, this shall have
 to wait until I get back.

	manoj
--
 If you cover a congressional committee on a regular basis, they will
 report the bill on your day off.  -- Herb Foster