Re: xserver 1.4

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 17:38 +0200, Brice Goglin wrote:
> On 9/17/07, Drew Parsons <dparsons@debian.org> wrote:
>         On the bad side though, this session crashes (freezes hard)
>         when logging
>         out, closing the sesssion.  I think this bug has been reported
>         elsewhere.
>

> Isn't this fixed in 2:1.4-2 (the one in unstable)?

Dunno *shrug*.  It hasn't hit my mirror yet :)

I think I've identified my black freeze at startup as belonging to the
external monitor setup.   That is, the working version (working on
laptop lvds) still crashes at start up, if the external monitor (VGA) is
plugged in.

If I run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg yet again, and explicitly include
1920x1200 (the preferred VGA resolution) as one of the monitor
resolution, then startup succeeds both with lvds alone and with the
external monitor.

That is, I require something like
Section "Screen"
        SubSection "Display"
                Modes           "1920x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768"
"800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Seems something's still buggy in autoconfiguration somewhere, that the
video modes need to be specified explicitly like this?

Drew