Re: How do women become involved with free and open source software?

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 11:38:02AM +0100, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 08:19:46AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > Quoting David Moreno Garza (damog@damog.net):
> >
> > with someone else, I think the question is not really appropriate in
> > the context. After all, who would imagine asking that very same
> > question to a man??
>
> I disagree. The question might well be relevant. We can't know if we
> don't ask it, because we don't have the posibility to analyze the
> answers. And I would definitely also ask it to men.
>
> One possible influence that comes to mind is that a "permanent
> relationship" might take time from my involvement in the free software
> community and make me focus on other thins.

It might also free you up to have time to work on free software,
if you had a permanent partner who did your laundry, made dinner,
watched the kids, and generally helped out around the house or
even with the free software tasks.

> I agree that the question is delicate and I perfectly understand if
> people refuse to answer it.

I think it's entirely inappropriate.  Whether people are in or
not in relationships, it has no bearing on how well they manage
their time.  There are single people who mismanage their time,
and married people who do an incredible amount of stuff, partly
*because* they have support from their partner.

cheerio,
bjb