Re: Usage of dpkg under cygwin

> To be honest, I have been thinking about this, yes a patch to tar is
> what I would support as well. Call it "disttar" make it force the
> permissions to be what they should while unpacking and packing.
>
> This would really make sense.
> mike

I should have known better. GNU did not put silly restrictions in their
app. I looked into it, and tar actually supports --owner <uid> and
--group <gid>. They're just not documented on the man page. And
permissions are not a problem, you are always allowed to set any
permissions you like without being root. The only problem is special
nodes, but that is probably a rare enough problem to allow for using
silly hacks. ;-)

   /Clacke