Re: Configuring obsolete web servers ?

(Cc:ing Cherokee's development list)

Vincent Bernat dijo [Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 04:07:23PM +0200]:
> Hi !
>
> Several  packages (roundcube,  textpattern,  mediawiki1.10, zabbix)  are
> configuring now obsolote web servers, like Apache and Apache SSL. I have
> a bug against textpattern about this and don't know to handle it:
>  http://bugs.debian.org/434050
>
> When PHP 4  was removed from unstable, many  packages have removed their
> dependencies  on it.  Should we  do the  same for  configuration  of web
> servers ?
>
> If yes, to avoid to rephrase all questions, I would like to configure an
> additional  web server  (to keep  multiple choices).  I was  thinking of
> lighttpd  but I  did not  find what  convention to  use (put  a  file in
> conf.d ?). mediawiki is shipping a configuration for cherokee and put it
> in site-available  (configuration for  Apache is in  conf.d). I  did not
> find any packaging convention for Cherokee, so I don't know if mediawiki
> approach is the good one.
>
> Are any of you aware of  a packaging convention to add applications to a
> web server, apart for Apache ?

Cherokee is about to completely change its configuration structure for
its upcoming 0.6 release - Cherokee guys: Vincent is talking about
ways to ensure Debian packages providing webapps can incorporate
configuration snippets on (as much as possible) all of the webservers
we support. While we currently ship Cherokee 0.5.5 in our stable
release, whatever comes out of this will only affect the testing and
unstable distributions (that's where development takes place).

What would be the preferred way of shipping snippets with 0.6? AFAICT,
the configuration will now be mostly handled via a third program,
right? If so, maybe the snippets would be fed into this program,
am I right, or I lost track of it all? ;-)

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23