Re: Results for Voting secrecy

Hi Russ,

On Sun, Mar 27, 2022 at 2:29 PM Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

> I do not believe you have enough information to make this assertion with
> complete confidence.

That is correct, and I will at this point wait until affected parties,
if any, speak up.

Meanwhile, the uncertainty you and I both suffer would be resolved by
a simple redo of the vote with a ballot that carries the appropriate
warning. That is all I asked for.

> Regardless, it doesn't matter procedurally.  The remedy that you're asking
> for doesn't exist in the constitution.

I suppose you and Kurt are saying that the denominator in the majority
calculation is so exactly described that there is no room to read any
protective spirit into the language of the constitution.

> This is an absurd escalation when you have no procedural basis for what
> you're demanding, and it's quite concerning coming from someone who is
> currently standing for DPL.  It's also pointless; anyone else who replaces
> the Project Secretary will have to do the same thing.  The discretion
> you're asking for simply does not exist in the constitution.

Well, I see it the other way around. As the only elected office in
Debian, the project leader is the sole respondent to the public.
Everyone else is appointed (and not elected). No other office is so
deeply vested with making sure that the people feel truly represented.

As for my qualification for office, I perceive it as the project
leader's duty to serve everyone, including any people with whom I
disagree. That's all I am doing here. As noted, I am personally in
favor of the constitutional change the Secretary is about to certify.

And as far as I am concerned, I did not escalate. I really do not
believe the project has other appropriate remedies. In any event, I
didn't mean to come across as threatening—especially not to Kurt.

In the US, procedural objections are always short and direct (because
they have to be timely). Compared to the cultural norms in Europe or
Asia, I probably should have exercised greater restraint. Sorry, Kurt.

In summary, I am fine with the proceedings here as long as no folks
opposing secret votes felt cheated today. Let's stop arguing and see
if anyone speaks up.

Thank you for the valuable background on your interpretation of the
constitution!

Kind regards,
Felix Lechner