Re: Question to all candidates: registering Debian as an organization

Hi Christian,

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 9:48 AM Christian Kastner <ckk@debian.org> wrote:

> What is your position on registering Debian as an organization?
>
> I'm curious as to (1) what you think of the idea in general, and (2)
> insofar you think this is a good idea, to what extent you'd consider
> pursuing it during your term(s).

>From what I have seen, Debian's governance is presently insufficient
to support any kind of incorporation. At least on the trademark side,
we cannot currently match the professional support we receive from
Software in the Public Interest, Inc., which includes timely legal
filings around the world.

That being said, I believe Debian should stand on its own. I am ready
to put Debian on a short path to incorporation.

It is one of many reasons why I'd like to see a broadly democratic
system of boards and commissions blossom, as quickly as possible, into
a reliable, accountable, transparent and elected governing council
that can handle funds and other project assets on behalf of our
membership.

I'll start on day one by forming a Disbursements Committee that will
transparently handle all financial matters that come before me as
project leader. The committee will operate according to California's
open meeting laws. [1]

The position of Incorporation Manager is open. Interested parties
shall please apply. The day we shake loose will be memorialized as our
"Independence Day."

Thank you for your question of broad public interest!

Kind regards,
Felix Lechner

[1] https://www.calcities.org/detail-pages/resource/open-public-v-a-guide-to-the-ralph-m.-brown-act

P.S. Everyone, please join #meetfelix on OFTC. I hope to get to know you better!