Re: Willingness to share a position statement?

Le vendredi 26 mars 2021 à 00:09:40+0200, Adrian Bunk a écrit :
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 09:38:56PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> > We *entirely* have the freedom to discriminate based on
> > what people say and do around us. We're not a government. We are *not*
> > in the situation where we *have* to support people saying things that we
> > believe to be bad, wrong and hurtful. It is *entirely* within our
> > rights to evaluate people by their words and actions and to decide
> > whether we wish to talk or work with them in future.
>
> You are saying companies should always have the right to fire employees
> if they join an union.

It *would* if companies were just some things assembled under the
freedom of association.

BUT, it's not the case as there are hierarchical relationships in these,
and they assemble under specific laws and texts.

For that reason, more than a century of experience made clear that the
right to union is important and the employees joining unions are to be
protected.

Debian is not a company, and as a private group assembled under the
freedom of association, yep, it can have anyone removed from the group.

Of course, if it were done based on law-punishable motives, it could
probably be a ground for prosecution. But as far as I am aware of,
"you're behaving in a way that is not compatible with our code of
conduct" or "you are doing harm to the community" is not discrimination
and is not forbidden by the law.

Regards,

--
Pierre-Elliott Bécue
GPG: 9AE0 4D98 6400 E3B6 7528  F493 0D44 2664 1949 74E2